Type yoga retreat into Google and you will get over 10 million results! All show beautiful locations, peaceful and/or smiling participants and delicious food, so how do you choose which is right for you?
One major question you need to ask yourself is ‘Why do I want to go on a retreat?’ Do you want to deepen your yoga practice and knowledge or is it more of a holiday with regular yoga thrown in? Look at the daily schedule of your potential retreat and see if that will meet your wishes.
More points to consider:
- There are retreats all over the world so where do you want to go? How close to home or far away do you need it to be?
- Budget. Can you go all out 5 star luxury or do you need to be a little more modest?
- Inclusions. What is included and what would you like to have included? Some retreats will offer accommodation, yoga and food packages while others offer those plus spa treatments, cleanses and various other activities.
- Other Activities. It’s no good going on a Surf/Yoga retreat if you turn green at the thought of bobbing around in the ocean. What other activities or attractions are around the retreat that you would be interested in?
- Yoga Style. Choose a retreat that offers a style of yoga that you enjoy or would like to try. If you’re not sure what the retreat offers in terms of yoga style, ask before you book.
- Yoga Teachers. If you can, check out the teacher’s style of teaching, will you be happy with that for the duration of the retreat? Us humans tend to gravitate to different types of teachers, what is fabulous for one person is horrible for another. Make sure you find a teacher you are happy to practice with.
- Recommendations. Most people will happily tell you all about their ‘one time at yoga camp’ stories. Look into those retreats with the most glowing references from people you know.
Enjoy finding the retreat that is right for you, have a fabulous time while you’re there!!